The highlight for all at VMworld 2010 this year had to be the most excellent LAB environment we have every experienced! At first I was concerned because they had done away with most of the large Instructor led labs this year. The hands-on labs were a much better way to go for sure. With a very professional layout, awesome menu, hardware, and cool room, you got to sit down and really go through learning about the products at your own pace (with nice instruction guides that explained stuff, not just told you to click and type this and that).
The labs were open 8am-10pm first two days, 8am-6pm Wednesday, and 8am-4pm on Thursday...so you had plenty of time to really take advantage of this wonderful resource. There were 30 lab topics, 480 lab seats, and 44 hours of lab time. Total lab clouds delivered were 15,344 with a total of 145,097 VMs created! WOW! Every hour the lab cloud created and destroyed about 4000 virtual machines! (All of these stats and information are from this link).
The labs utilized PC-over-IP protocol and Wyse P20 stateless zero clients using VMware View 4.5. More details on this configuration can be found here.
The top 10 labs taken were:
- VMware View 4.5 Install and Config (1515)
- VMware vSphere Perf & Tuning (1229)
- VMware ESX 4.1 new features (1112)
- VMware vCloud Director Install & Config (1019)
- Basic VMware vSphere Install & Config (829)
- VMware View 4.5 Advanced (811)
- VMware vSphere Troubleshooting (791)
- VMware vCenter SRM Install & Config (789)
- VMware vDS & Cisco Nexus 1KV (761)
- VMware vShield (734)